Ed has had enough to eat at the BBQ

Home Forums Off Topic Ed has had enough to eat at the BBQ

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    marie ingerfatffriend
    Participant

Ed doesn’t want any deserts at the barbeque, declaring he is ‘stuffed’. It was way back in the 1970s that I silenced a London restaurant by declining desert with those words. It was gently explained to me that I was saying a bodily orifice was full of something other than food – I am still not entirely sure which orifice and what filling. Is this an Americanism that has become acceptable over here in the years since? I would like to know.

Purple PumpkinPurple Pumpkin
    Participant

Only just seen this quesion, FF. So, on the one hand, a blokey bloke saying “I gave her a good stuffing” would be understood to be talking about filling something other than her mouth with something other than food. On the other hand, in the context Ed said it about himself, everyone would know what he meant.

I would count it as being on the ‘slightly uncouth’ end of the scale, like saying ruddy hell – not rude enough to be kept off the Archers, but not polite enough to be said in company of, for example, by disapproving mother-in-law.

Hope that makes sense!

marie ingerfatffriend
    Participant

Thanks for your reply, Purple Pumpkin. That’s me, slightly uncouth. If the expression is another americanism that has invaded the english language, it is not entirely my fault. I deny sole responsibility for the grey squirrel and trick-or-treating as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.