Kefir

Home Forums DumTeeDum Kefir

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

I truly hope we will hear no more of Kefir following Clarrie’s triumph over Susan.

Jacqueline BerthoJacqueline Bertho
    Participant

Me too! I was very confused by this storyline at the beginning, living in the back of beyond, where it is hard to find anything that is out of season ( think UK circa 1965) I had never heard of Kaffir, so read about it. Now I am so bored with the whole story, bring back E-Coli I say!

Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

I suspect Kefir and e-coli may be closely related…

Janis PoeJanispope
    Participant

Kosmo you would know more about this than me, but given that kefir is available at a low price in all supermarkets as well as Eastern European shops and many corner shops in Oxford at least, I can’t see how Tom plans to make a commercial success of this. I may be wrong but surely the scholarship is for something a little grander than a new range in the farm shop? Plus Toms already had his fingers burnt with the supermarkets, I just don’t get it.

Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

I agree with Glyn and Janispope. We don’t need anymore kefir stories. It sounds like a bit of a waste of time, effort and money.

At first, I thought Tom was onto something when he was off investigating organic baby food. The food and retail industry are not subjects that I know much about but I’ve noticed that there are lots of supermarkets stocking different brands, so I assume there’s a demand for organic baby food.

As for fermented foods? It seems too “niche” but I’ve noticed that there are imported brands in the supermarkets and just as with yoghurt home-making kits, you can buy a kefir home-making kit from Lakeland.

I’m not sure if Tom is truly ahead of the curve and has spotted the next big thing in food but, to my mind, it isn’t the basis of a great new story.

Ian GriffinIan Griffin
    Participant

OK, so Kefir (pronounced ‘ke-fer’ not ‘kaaaaafear’ here in California) might be all over England but what about Kombucha which was mentioned in passing on the August 29th episode? How well known is that drink in the Shires? It’s become a very popular over here in the States (it’s in Safeway and ever Wal-Mart carries it).

It has, to my mind, a taste similar to Scrumpy. So it should do well in Somerset and the west country.

It’s often sold at ridiculous prices ($4.99 a pint bottle) but it’s easy to make for pennies a pint, with no need to raid orchards for rotting apples. Just brew some strong sweet tea and let it ferment. Yum!

It was being told by a UK friend that Kombucha had been mentioned in Ambridge that got me listening to the programme again for the first time since I emigrated in 1974…my, *haven’t* things changed since then!

LandlessGentryLandlessGentry
    Participant

Yes I’m pleased you’d noticed the Kombucha, I was half listening and heard them talking about fermented tea and thought they’d got their hipster-foods-beginning-with-k mixed up!

KosmoKosmo
    Participant

You are right Tom is late to the party over kefir. The economics of Bridge Farm have been nonsense since they dumped the organic cows as the traceability was an important factor. In addition I am not sure that “organic” which is the Ambridge Organics (remember Bridge Farm as a brand was killed by e coli) USP adds anything to kefir in terms of value or price.

Baby food was equal nonsense. The writers really need help on the farming front. Perhaps they need a new agricultural advisor (or perhaps to listen to the one they have?).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.