More US than UK downloads: How's that?

Home Forums DumTeeDum More US than UK downloads: How's that?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I was intrigued when Roifield announced in DTD a couple of episodes ago that the podcast was being downloaded more in the US than the UK.

Here in the UK, The Archers has permeated the national consciousness over its long lifespan… but how has its reach spread overseas? I’m curious.

Is is syndicated to national public radio in Commonwealth countries, as we have callerinnerers from Canada and Australia? Have US listeners been searching for ‘British podcasts’ and thus found TA by chance? Or has it been a personal introduction or recommendation?

LandlessGentryLandlessGentry
    Participant

It’s not on radio here in the colonies as far as I know. I get the feeling that most callerinerers and listenerers have a link to the UK and listen via podcast.

Ms BubblesMs Bubbles
    Participant

I am in Autralia and I can tell you that the Archers is not a thing here. No one I speak to knows what it is. I guess Millie Bell does but that’s about it. It is not syndicated on ABC radio. No-one ever mentions it. You know how there was an article about the storyline that must not be named in the New York Times well, in Australia, nothing. Doesn’t exist.

Phoebe FigalillyPhoebe Figalilly
    Participant

As a US listener, I think it helps to have some U.K. Connection/interest (my mother is English). That said, she has never mentioned The Archers or expressed any interest in the fact that I am a current listener! I think it also helps to be interested in podcasts in general (there’s so much out there!) and what non-U.S. voices have to offer. As monolingual Americans, the BBC is a good place to look for alternative programming that we can understand and the BBC has done a great job of making a lot of radio programming available via podcast.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.