Ramblings

Home Forums DumTeeDum Ramblings

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LandlessGentryLandlessGentry
    Participant

I’ve had a giant backlog of archers and accompanying DTD’s and have finally caught up. I tend to be busy and then all of a sudden have 6 weeks of catching up to do, which doesn’t make contributing here or callerinering particularly useful as the moment has often already passed. Anyway, a few thoughts:

– There was a spate of aborted conversations in Jan/Feb at the Bull/Shop etc. Person A was just about to ask a question or tell Person B something when Person C barges in and the subject was changed. This happened with Kirsty & Tom, and also Lillian & Justin, among others. I haven’t noticed it recently so thankfully they seem to have stopped using this plot device.

– You remember that Matt/Kirsty Archers Extra spin off they did a few years ago (I think there was one the year before that but it wasn’t podcasted so I didn’t hear it)? I’d love them to do the secret life of the Fairbrotherbrothers. I really want to know what has happened to the overdosing ex, but on the other hand I don’t really want to hear about it in the archers. I like my archers agricultural and not too much grittiness.

– I haven’t listened live on the radio for years since I moved to Aus, so I don’t hear the credits they used to sometimes run – is there still an Agricultural Story editor? I’m fine with the issssuuuues (Rob/Helen abusive relationships, Kirsty miscarriage etc etc) but there are quite a few countryside specific issues that don’t get a look in. The Ambridge Housing Market is quite extraordinary as it contracts and expands to meet the needs of the new characters, housing is a huge issue in rural areas. Sheep worrying is also a big problem as walkers don’t stop their dogs from going near lambs and pregnant sheep leading to miscarriage through fear and sometimes mauling by the dogs. Actually are there any sheep in Ambridge or is it all cattle?

– It’s fascinating how language evolves. The term Gaslighting is a new one on me, but I’ve seen it used heaps in the press and online since the Rob/Helen storyline. Is that the Archers influencing the language and bringing back a relatively obscure term. The etymology is fascinating, from an otherwise little known play (1938) and film (1944). The things you learn from the Archers. Has anyone seen the film? Also “safeguarding” which you all used in the podcast a few weeks ago after Rob managed to sneak up to the school playground to talk to Henry. Not a term I’ve come across before and I don’t thin it’s used in Aus in that way.

– I feel Justin is out of central casting (“posh quite clever”, as opposed to “posh a bit thick”). I wish they’d expand the character and give us more insight into what he thinks about his relationship with Lillian. I’m sure he and Lillian would have talked more than they’ve allowed us to hear.

– I do like the Grundys, and good on them for their AirBnB efforts, but I’ve resigned myself for a slow burn period of moderate success followed by some random guest overflowing the bath or burning the house down…

– The women in cricket AGM… HOW many people were there? The sound effects suggested at least 100 people in attendance with all the gaffaws – more than enough to field a cricket team surely. And if the league allows women the club would too. Bert is a nice old buffer and I thought it was entirely out of character for him to be playing the cranky old man – he’d welcome women I’d have thought. Anyway, bored with this storyline now thankyou very much!

– Anisha and her spending… I thought she and Alistair were in a partnership? Not sure if it’s 50/50, but surely she had to buy in to join his practice. It is portrayed as Alistair is paying for all this new equipment, but if it’s a partnership she’d be paying her share too either out of profits or by putting in more equity. Where does she get her money from? And also why didn’t Alistair ask for ROIs etc. I hope this isn’t going to be a slow burn New Vet bankrupts Old Vet story.

That’s all for now!

Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

As a big fan of Ingrid Bergman, I’ve seen the film “Gaslight” – but it’s been many years since it was on TV. And as for “safeguarding”, it’s an issue I grapple with in my daily work life. Broadly, safeguarding is the action that is taken to promote the welfare of children (and vulnerable adults) and protect them from harm. As you say, the language we use and how it develops can be very interesting. The writers have already managed to work “alternative facts” into a recent script (some remark made by Linda about Eddie echoing President Trump). I’m waiting for “virtue signalling” to be shoehorned in somehow, somewhere, probably by Linda.

As for Justin Eliiott, he’s posh and amoral – like a moustachioed, cape wearing villain – and a bit one dimensional. But for me the Justin and Lillian storyline has an added frisson because Justin and Miranda are married in real life! Lucy Fleming is also the daughter of “Brief Encounter” actress Celia Johnson. Her father, Peter, was the brother of James Bond creator, Ian Fleming.

Justin’s a posh villain on the one hand and the Grundies are supposed to be lovable rogues, on the other hand. However I, for one, am sick of their scheming and hustling.

Like you, I find Aneesha curious. I wonder how long she’ll be around. The actress who plays her has been on TV recently in “Apple Tree Yard” and is going to be in the new series of “Line of Duty”. She’s also done work for the RSC. I’m not sure she’s in it for the long haul. She’ll probably single handedly save the cricket team, break Rex’s heart, bankrupt Alistair and then do a runner.

LandlessGentryLandlessGentry
    Participant

I’ll have to seek out Gaslight! You’re a fount of knowledge Miss M-C, I had no idea that Justin and Miranda were married in real life… hopefully they are in a better place in real life than in the Archers as they do sound rather pissed off with each other quite a lot of the time!

I hope Aneesha sticks around for the long term even if she goes silent now and again, but I fear your prediction may be right!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.