Something Not Right About Emma and Rob

Home Forums DumTeeDum Something Not Right About Emma and Rob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jim O'HaraJim O’Hara
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about the famous Emma / Rob scene at the bull and something just isn’t right.

Apparently, all of the Grundy’s were there for a birthday meal. Rob had been drinking for a while and caught Emma near the bathrooms and they argued. David and Jazzer hear what’s going on and throw Rob out.

Where were the Grundys when all this was happening? Emma would have had a chance to tell everyone about Rob’s inappropriate request and his creepy ripping up of the card. I would imagine after a few beers they would have been ready to have a go at Rob and let him know not to bother Emma again, but certainly when Emma started yelling they would have been right over there. And Rob would have gotten a right kicking from all the Grundy men.

I think it would have been a lot more interesting to explore the dark side of the Grundys. It’s one thing to be a bit of a naughty poacher, but beating the crap out of Rob would be a different and more complex matter.

We saw a little of this with the hunt saboteur, the evil country yokels beat up somebody and then all lied to the police to cover it up. Village life wasn’t all tea and WI for the poor hunt saboteur.

Having Boring David gently telling Rob to go home was disappointing.

Miss PellMiss Pell
    Participant

Rob was still colostomized at the time, so it wouldn’t have been too difficult for the Grundys – or anyone else – to beat the crap out of him.

But you are right, it was strange that with her husband and his family present, it was two non relatives who came to Emma’s assistance, although I was pleased for Jazzer to be given something to do.

Ibn BattutaIbn Battuta
    Participant

I’m guessing it’s to do with the character limitation (no more than 7 actors in one episode I think). But it could be explained logically as well. I have no idea about the layout of the bull but the Grundys were perhaps in the faraway corner of the pub and David and Jazzer were in the bar near the toilets. I for one thought it was delightful to get to her Jazzer throwing Rob out. “And don’t come back PAL”.

Paul BroomheadBorrowed_Time
    Participant

I presumed that the rest of the Grundy clan were in the Hassett Room or some other dark corner of the pub whilst Rob was hanging around one of the bars (pubs often used to have a saloon bar and a lounge bar and I’m sure that I recall Sid having to go through to the other bar to serve one of the Booths (Neville or Nathan). So it’s possible that the Bull has two bars and a restaurant.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.