Team Dusty, Lyndibots and the Panto

Home Forums DumTeeDum Team Dusty, Lyndibots and the Panto

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    DustyDusty
    Participant

Despite the comments from L and R, I am delighted to see from Twitter that there are many of us who love Lynda and look forward to the panto. I also look forward to the F&P, Village Fete and Stir Up Sunday. I also perversely look forward to Deck the Halls as it is a fabulously open goal for those of us who arse around on Twitter. Clearly we don’t want Christmas pudding flavoured kefir but otherwise bring it on. Dx

WitherspoonWitherspoon

Count me in. I love the annual run-up to the Christmas panto, as we in America don’t have this tradition. I’ve been to one – in London in 2004: Aladdin, with both Ian McKellen and Roger Allam. What a hoot!

Andrew HornAndrew Horn

Wise, as ever Dusty.

KosmoKosmo
    Participant

I might wish for a slightly different arc – enough people turning up for auditions rather than the arm twisting, success plucked from the jaws of disaster, the nearly always ecstatic reviews by Larry Lovell (or his replacement), the run in with FLOSS over costumes etc. Recent years have been dominated by extension to the BBC Radio 4 play and I am not sure that will continue.

DustyDusty
    Participant

I wish we had a like button Kosmo – agree about the auditions. Even if the usual suspects don’t fancy it, there will be keen participants like Tracey I suspect (eager but crap ideally) Dx

Sir WithloveSir Withlove
    Participant

I love the idea of a panto or Christmas Show that would have the whole village auditioning and competing for roles. The obvious choice: Harry Potter. Ben can emerge from silenthood in the title role. Phoebe is obviously Hermione, setting up the inevitable backstage/onstage romance with Freddie Pargetter as Ron Weasley. Carol Tregorran can come out of the closet as a true witch as Minerva McGonagall. Susan is a natural for gossip-monger Rita Skeeter.

Other casting ideas?

If Lynda doesn’t direct the show this then year who will?

Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

Cathy – it is going to be a mime version of Puss in Boots, only sound will be some purring form Hilda Ogden in the starring role.

Stephanie PowerStephanie Power
    Participant

Love the panto but agree with Kosmo-why have it if you can predict the basic format a mile away- it seeming like a failure till the end-rave reviews by the local press and christmas is saved!I know the writers like to have it as a light story as a counterpoint to whatever drama elsewhere during christmas but I would love for the show to be prepped as a shambolic comic story with nobody turning up for auditions and us listeners thinking it will turn out well on the night and it actually going completely wrong! I think it would surprise us old archers listeners and be a comic tour de force if done right. Imagine Lynda’s face (whether she manages it or not-she will narrate all the faults as and when they occur! And the press reviews! You could milk it for ages as to whether or not the actors in the panto could continue the run getting better or just getting worse and the locals turning up to have a gawk. People in ambridge would talk about it for years to come! What do the writers lose by changing it up?

marie ingerfatffriend
    Participant

My involvement in am dram and panto has been mostly as the parent of the talent, but I have never known a lack of competition for the staring roles. Those who aren’t cast are encouraged to stay on in the chorus, which is flexible enough to absorb everyone who wants to participate. But,of course, Lynda was not directing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.