academic archers conference

Home Forums DumTeeDum academic archers conference

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nicola HeadlamNicola Headlam
    Participant

hello dumteedummers,

We at academic archers would like to invite you to our 3rd conference on 17th Feb at the British Library in London.
    we are very keen that dumteedummers REAL Archers fans join us. The conference is on 17th feb at the British Library and if you sign up on Eventbrite with the code dumteedum all one word there is a 15% discount waiting for you!

we have a conference buddy system if you have never been to a conference like this before and can promise that you will laugh – a lot

The programme is as follows;

8.30 am Doors and registration
    9 am to 9.15 am Welcome from Dr Cara Courage and Dr Nicola Headlam

Session One: Ambridgonomics – Planning and Economic Development in Ambridge

Part 1: The Housing Crisis in Borsetshire
    9.15 am to 9.25 am: Rich Relatives or Ambridge Fairy? Patronage and expectation in Ambridge housing pathways, from Claire Astbury, Head of Housing Strategy & Development at Luton Borough Council
    9.25 am to 9.45 am: Staying in the Spare Room: Social Connectedness and Household Co-residence in The Archers, from Paula Fomby, Research Associate Professor in the Survey Research Center and Population Studies Center, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan

Part 2: Placemaking and shaping
    9.45 am to 10.05 am: Set in aspic?: Ambridge rural placemaking in a place of contested politics and conflicted identity, from Dr Cara Courage
    10.05 am to 10.25 am: Can rural proofing make life in Ambridge better?, from Sally Shortall, Duke of Northumberland Professor of Rural Economy at Newcastle University and Anne Liddon, Science Communications Manager, Centre for Rural Economy, Newcastle University

Morning Break

Session Two: Wildcards
    11 am to 11.10 am: Ambridgology and Counter-insurgency doctrine, from James Armstrong, political advisor to the NATO Senior Civilian Representative in Afghanistan
    11.10 am to 11.30 am: Heavy Petting: An Examination of Metaphoric Relationships with Pets, from Rachel Daniels, Deputy Head and Group Leader, Barrington Library, Cranfield University, and Dr Annie Maddison Warren, Senior Lecturer in Information Systems, Centre for Electronic Warfare, Information and Cyber, Cranfield University

Session Three: Said and Unsaid
    11.30 am to 11.40 am: Jim Lloyd: Quomodo Latine loqui facit? [how does he speak/pronounce Latin?], from Dr Catherine Sangster, ex BBC Pronunciation Unit
    11.40 am to 12 pm am: Foucault, Freda Fry and the power of silent characters on the radio, from Rebecca Wood, Honorary Research Fellow at the University of Birmingham in the Department of Disability, Inclusion and Special Needs
    12 pm to 12.10 pm: Accent and identity in Ambridge, from Dr Rob Drummond, Senior Lecturer in Linguistics at Manchester Metropolitan University

Session Four: Wildcards
    12.10 pm to 12.20 pm: Their Names Liveth Forevermore: Recreating the Ambridge War Memorial, from Dr Jessica Meyer, University of Leeds
    12.20 pm to 12.30 pm: Unique Borsetshire climate or exemplary sun protection?, from Dr Nicola Boyle, Harlaxton College, Dr Tanya Bleiker, Clinical Vice President of the British Association of Dermatologists, Dr Nick Levell, dermatologist and Nina Goad.
    12.30 pm to 12.40 pm: The Morris in The Archers – and The Archers in The Morris, from Helen Burrows, social worker.
    Lunch – including Morris dancing in the British Library square.

Session Five: Ambridgistas – Women of Ambridge

Part 1: Lives of Ambridge Women
    1.30 pm to 1.50 pm: Does The Archers reflect contemporary values on gender, and sexuality?, from Bill Pitt, social researcher
    1.50 pm to 2 pm: ‘I am woman, hear me roar – and now watch me play cricket!’, from Katharine Hoskyn, Auckland University of Technology
    2 pm to 2.10 pm: Sow’s ears and silk purses: upcycling and The Archers, from Madeleine Lefebvre is Chief Librarian of Ryerson University in Toronto
    2.10 pm to 2.20 pm: Strong or Silenced? The Under-Representation of Mental Health Problems in Ambridge’s Women, from Elizabeth Campion, University of Cambridge

Part 2: Women’s Talk?
    2.20 pm to 2.40 pm: In praise of gossip – why tongue-wagging and the rumour mill are important in Ambridge, from Louise Gillies, King’s College, London
    2.40 pm to 3 pm: Neighbourhood Watch: Gossip, Power and the Working-Class Matriarch in The Archers, from Claire Mortimer, University of East Anglia
    3 pm to 3.45 pm: Disscussant, Charlotte Martin (actor) aka Dr Charlotte Connor (Research Psychologist).
    Afternoon break

Session Six: Pot Pouri
    4.15 pm to 4.35 pm: It’s Not Cricket: Fibbing in The Archers, from Dr Ruth Heilbronn and Dr Rosalind Janssen, University College London, Institute of Education
    4.35 pm to 4.45 pm: Fear, fecklessness and flapjacks: imagining Ambridge’s offenders, from Charlotte Bilby, Reader in Criminology, Northumbria University
    4.45 pm to 5.05 pm: Paths to the polling station at the village hall: Social networks and voting in Ambridge, from Dr Timothy Vercellotti, professor of political science, Western New England University in Springfield, Massachusetts
    5.05 pm to 5.35 pm: Closing remarks and prize-giving

Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

What shame the “early bird” tickets have apparently all sold out!

I’d have been especially interested in the under-representation of mental health problems in Ambridge’s women. As I said in another post, I’m amazed that Helen (who has never been treated as someone who was particularly robust to begin with) has coped much better with the aftermath of domestic violence than I would have thought given her psychological profile. No-one really feels in low mood for long in Ambridge: the village is replete with stoics who enjoy remarkably good physical and mental health.

And it would be good to hear from our own Clare Astbury, too, about the housing issue!

Nicola HeadlamNicola Headlam
    Participant

The dumteedum discount of 15% puts the tix back to the early bird price

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/academic-archers-2018-tickets-32357397848

Totally agree on the mental health issue – Elizabeth Campion’s paper on this in the afternoon explores this – she presented last year in the helen and rob strand.

I must confess when Claire’s abstract came in I was excited about her being dumteedum royalty!!

marie ingerfatffriend
    Participant

I do hope it will also be available online as it was last year (and even better if there is a better sound system). It was last year’s conference (online) that set me searching for dum dee dum.

Roifield BrownRoifield Brown
    Keymaster

If there is a live stream we could host it and promote it on the site Nicola.

KosmoKosmo
    Participant

I would dearly love to join you – and even talk about the need for insurance policies in the village – but I regret that I shall be at Heathrow catching a silver bird to Sri Lanka for a long holiday. Such a pity when you are so much closer this year.

Jacqueline BerthoJacqueline Bertho
    Participant

I too shall be unable to join you which is especially frustrating as I am actually in the U.K. that weekend, but participating in a Longarm Quilting Academy in Bristol.
    Good luck with the conference, brilliant choice of venue by the way.
    Look forward to hearing the recordings.

marie ingerfatffriend
    Participant

I look forward to a longarm quilting category in next year’s flower and produce show.

Claire AstburyClaire Astbury
    Participant

DumTeeDum royalty, really Nicola! I’m so looking forward to the day and hope to meet lots of fellow DumTeeDummers at the British Library. I’ll be the one who isn’t a real academic but likes to blather on about housing policy anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.