Archers 65th Anniversary Episode

Home Forums DumTeeDum Archers 65th Anniversary Episode

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

How underwhelming was that?

Four Archers, a fruitcake, some sheep with ‘magic spray’ and a formerly poorly cow. Whoop-de-doop.

Christine GillChristine Gill
    Participant

Defining moment? I don’t think so.

Roifield BrownRoifield Brown
    Keymaster

I thought it was a good episode, just not suited to a 65th anniversary show http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/12077603/Archers-fans-left-frustrated-at-65th-anniversary-cliffhanger.html

Sue GedgeKatieKing
    Participant

I am amazed by how many people on the BBC’s official Archers FB page have said they ‘loved’ the episode, particularly as there had been several ‘teasers’ throughout the day from the Beeb building up the fact that it WAS the 65th anniversary episode and that it was going to be ‘unlike’ anything we’d heard before. If it hadn’t been for all of that, I might have quite liked it too; as it was, I felt very let-down and disappointed. However, for many listeners, it must have been a kind of ‘comfort blanket’ episode, with David and Ruth firmly established at Brookfield (all those fears that Ruth was only coming back to say good-bye assuaged) and farming issues put at the heart of the programme. Personally, I felt manipulated by all the hype and found it a dull, humourless episode, but I’m glad others enjoyed it. It was also a firm reminder that The Archers is nothing like ‘Eastenders’ despite the claims of the nay-sayers! Now let’s get back to Helen and Rob, the most gripping story-line ever, throw in some humour with Jim, Lynda, Jazzer etc., and I’ll be listening avidly. Happy New Year!

I’ve only just heard last week’s episodes. After all the comments on Facebook I was pretty much expecting to be underwhelmed, but bloomin’ heck that was dull. Definitively, dreadfully, lose-the-will-to-live dull. And as for the saccharin ending….

I hear the view from the roof of Lower Loxley’s lovely at this time of year. Anyone care to join me?

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s exactly how I felt, Katie – it was all the surrounding hype that made it a let-down, not the episode in and of itself. Given how many storylines need to be tied up, this was by far the least significant of them for me.

Paul RoomePaul Roome
    Participant

Yep, I agree. My first thought after the episode was ‘Is that it?’.

It had been built up as ‘defining’ for TA. Not sure how that can be the case. Certainly it was different to other anniversary episodes as promised. Nothing happened.

I do wonder if the editor is smiling thinking about all the grief he had been getting about the Rob and Helen storyline becoming all consuming. He calls the listeners’ bluff but putting in a dull farming and family related episode that people have said has been lacking lately, and then waits for listeners hypocrisy (mine included!) who moan that it was a boring!

Also, I can’t understand that the whole episode was related to Ruth, David and Brookfield, with no mention of Route B that surely will have big implications on their plans. Has this been forgotten, resolved or what?

Sue GedgeKatieKing
    Participant

Route B was mentioned in Sunday’s episode (more’s the pity! What a bore!)

Spare MousieSpare Mousie
    Participant

I agree with all who say it was the build-up – mostly – that made the episode a disappointment. Telling us it would be ‘defining’ was a huge mistake. They could easily have let the fact that it was the 65th anniversary pass unnoticed. It’s not a particularly significant number. But they chose to make a big deal of it and, having created the hype, I think most were expecting a bit more than ‘we’re getting different cows’.

And it wasn’t even a particularly good episode in my opinion. That’s such a hackneyed trick, ‘I’ve got something important to tell you but you’ll have to wait a bit while I build up the suspense’.

Paul RoomePaul Roome
    Participant

Must have nodded off on Sunday and missed the Route B mention, Katie. Or was startled when Brian let out a ‘Right you are’ and my brain couldn’t cope with any more.

Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

I take the “defining” bit to be the Ruth’s declaration that she and David will be together forever. The fact that it only used four actors was innovative in a sense, and I think the Ed. team were clear they did not want another Lowley Loxley Roof or Oxford Ring Road Ruth style anniversary. Nevertheless, it was a bit underwhelming!

Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

Oops..”Lower Loxley” of course!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.