Ed and Em's house …

Home Forums DumTeeDum Ed and Em's house …

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

I’ve only ever bought a house twice in my life and each time it was a Victorian terrace in an unfashionable part of town – well within my budget. Just my preference. I’ve never bought a new build home. So I don’t quite understand what’s going on with Ed and Emma.

I understand that their new home is “affordable” and they’ve got some money for a deposit (because they’ve been saving and I think Susan has promised to help out) … But so far they haven’t been to a mortgage broker or a bank to talk about how they’re going to pay for it!

How are they going to pay mortgage instalments and bills if they’re struggling for money in a shared, rented house now?! The Grundies always sound like they’re living from hand to mouth even though they all work (an example of people being in work but also being poor) so how will Clarrie and Eddie manage without Ed and Emma?

WitherspoonWitherspoon

Good questions…

-As we’ve been hearing so much about the saving for the deposit, we must assume they’re working on getting a mortgage, but that may be too mundane for us to hear on an episode. They’ve been struggling to put aside money for the deposit and pay their share of the rent at the same time; it sounds like they will continue to struggle to pay a monthly mortgage, which is likely to be more than what they were paying for their share of the rent, but they don’t have to save for the deposit anymore. Sadly, more nights at the chicken factory for Emma. We’re also concerned that Ed is going to be drawn into some dodgy dealings by this new employer…why else would he be introduced to us? As for Clarrie and Eddie, maybe they will take in a lodger. I don’t think having an Air BnB was to Clarrie’s liking.

marie ingerfatffriend
    Participant

The scriptwriters have access to an agricultural advisor but it would seem that nothing else in Ambridge needs to be remotely realistic.

Jacqueline BerthoJacqueline Bertho
    Participant

All good questions. Like Witherspoon I am assuming they have a mortgage lined up or at least the possibility of one…..which we have not heard about (too technical)
    In my experience the cost of a mortgage was, by month, less than rent…..but so many other costs, from council tax, Electric and gas and tv license basic charges, before you pay for consumption. Plus furniture….I can see many more nights ahead of Ed working late, Emmur at the chicken factory and no live-in babysitters.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.