Emma's New House

Home Forums DumTeeDum Emma's New House

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul RobinsonPaul Robinson
    Participant

What are your thoughts on Emma’s house story line? I’m coming to think there could be a conflict of interest storyline with Emma being on the Parish Council.

I can see Justin reserving her a house because of her protests about at the reduced number of affordable houses being built. She will jump at the chance. Then will come accusations of her being bought off to silence her, in addition to her father being in the employ of Justin.

Claire AstburyClaire Astbury
    Participant

I wish we knew what kind of affordable housing we are talking about on this site. Emma and Ed would be best off in shared ownership with a housing association and neither the parish council nor Justin can influence who gets those homes. The way they are all talking it’s like Justin is building starter homes at 80% of market value. In which case he might have some influence but even then i find it unlikely.

If there are changes to the planning application, the parish council may be asked for comment. But not necessarily. If they are commenting, then this could make for a fiery parish council meeting.

Anyway, I can drone for hours about this….but won’t
    Claire

Ms BubblesMs Bubbles
    Participant

I hate to think this is all leading up to Emma missing out on a house. That seems to be the Grundy way. I think if she gets a house even by honest means (and I am assuming Justin has control of this because that’s basically what we have been told) then it will look dodgy anyway after all her noisemaking and her father being employed by Justin (as mentioned above).
    I have said it before, I don’t really see why Ed and Emma are so poor. Emma works all hours of day and night with free childcare, Ed seems to be busy most of the time. Just doesn’t make sense to me that they are struggling so much.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe Kate could sell off the yurts as affordable housing for Emmor?

Seriously, there are other aspirations in th world than a bloody mortgage. If she ever gets a house, will we be forced to endure her whingeing about interest rates. I really can’t bear it.

Ed – shove off from Emmor and have an affair with Fallon before PC Dullard marries her. She has other interests than the earning potential from chicken’s entrails.

First set of postsfrom RedAgnes, am I doing ok? I love a bit of feedback

WitherspoonWitherspoon

I agree with Ms. Bubbles. Surely Ed and Emma have saved some money; though I don’t want to minimize their struggle.

Two questions: what would be the market rate cost of a modest house in a rural area of central England?
    How much would an “affordable cost” modest house be?

Paul RobinsonPaul Robinson
    Participant

Affordable homes on green belt ‘a lie’, say campaigners

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45079648

Claire AstburyClaire Astbury
    Participant

Hi Witherspoon I did a quick search on Inkberrow which is theoretically the village that Ambridge is based on. A 3 bed house will cost minimum £280,000 at the moment https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E13511&maxBedrooms=3&minBedrooms=3&propertyTypes=detached%2Csemi-detached%2Cterraced&primaryDisplayPropertyType=houses&includeSSTC=false

But if you are willing to go to an alternative village you can probably pick up a 3 bed house for just under £200K

Ed and Emma would have to find a deposit of at least 5% (£20K) but then would need a mortgageable annual joint income about £60K to afford it. I suspect that their joint income is somewhere more like £35-£40K. And it’s piecemeal and Ed is self employed in the main. So they wouldn’t be mortgageable. And saving £20K is a tall order.

Hope that helps 🙂
    Claire

Stephanie PowerStephanie Power
    Participant

Every time Emma opens her mouth in a scene, I am gritting my teeth until she starts talking about her house. I understand this is the dearest dream of many people all around Britain and indeed the world but NOBODY talks about it nonstop like this every chance they get. Any time somebody talks about getting a house or having a house ala hannah and Fallon, it becomes so much shaming and competition for having one! I know she has a one track mind but just think the writing has fallen down for her character in this respect somehow.She is reminding me of a character from a dickens novel-I remember her talking about her plans for the house with fallon and one part of me was sympathetic but another side of me was vomiting into a bucket with the maudlin pity of it all!

Just get the sense if she did get her magic house, she will have issues with how she got it and even if that wasn’t a problem, a poster said she would complain about mortgage rates and I would agree. Have the sense that the grundy family are not destined to have any landfalls soon though and she won’t get a house. Are we destined for the next 20 years every time we tune into emma for her to talk about her house given the slightest opening? Dunno how half the family hasn’t given up talking with her already?!

Ms BubblesMs Bubbles
    Participant

Of course, Ed and Emma could use the windfall they would have saved when they were living rent free at Grange farm for around 9 months before Oliver introduced the rent. By my rough calculation that would make a pretty good contribution to the 20k deposit, maybe around half?Is that too way off?
    Then there is the question of what Eddie, Clarrie and Joe are going to do if and when Ed and Emma leave. Since the rent is only just affordable, presumably they won’t be able to afford it without the extra contributions Ed and Emma make. No-one seems to have considered this. Maybe Eddie, Clarrie and Joe don’t think Emma will ever get her own home either.

WitherspoonWitherspoon

If a house cost 200,000 pounds then 5% down is only 10,000 pounds.

Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

I bow to Claire Astbury on this one!

I just can’t see how after they’re struggling to raise a deposit – even with help from The Bank of Mum & Dad – they’re going to be able to pay a mortgage and all the other outgoings month after month (council tax, gas, electricity, water and so on), plus pay the costs of raising their child(ren). The impression I get is that they’re always working multiple jobs in order to just get by. I don’t see how buying a house is suddenly going to be affordable for them.

Do they qualify for working tax credit for example?

Which makes me wonder how, curiously, no-one in The Archers is out of work and claiming benefits; no-one is in work and claiming relevant benefits; and the retirees are not in receipt of any supplementary benefits for disability or incapacity. They’re either students, employed, self-employed (entrepreneurs/business owners/freelancers/sole practitioners) or retired. There can’t be too many communities like that …

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.