For Doug – Re: Sarah Smith cleaning cloths

Home Forums DumTeeDum For Doug – Re: Sarah Smith cleaning cloths

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

Hi

(I’m not on “The Book of Face” so I can’t log on to respond to your article.)

In the adverts for Sarah Smith cloths, the “qualifications” for wanting the cloths are references poking a bit of fun at a certain type of middle class person who is thought of as a typical buyer. For example, they refer to Liberty and John Lewis and Cath Kidston which are very middle class department stores/retailers; “The National Trust” which is a charity that supports historical British parks, coastal areas and buildings amongst other things; and preferring “organic quinoa” rather than fast food – because it’s a healthier, more conscious, more expensive consumer choice which is more likely to be favoured by a middle class person.

Hope that explains things a bit.

As for me, I’ve kept a packet of Sarah Smith cloths under my sink for around a decade now. I think I bought two packets originally ages ago when I lived in Wales but then I decided not to use the second packet because they were “too posh”! Obviously, I’m not bourgeois enough to be comfortable using them regularly (I’m sticking to my microfibre cloths bought at “Home Bargains” – a “discount” store) …

Jim O'HaraJim O’Hara
    Participant

What of where is Liberty? And why would I go there more often than Safari?

Alison JohnsonAlison Johnson
    Participant

Let me translate as a Brit who lives in US
    John Lewis = Nordstroms
    Libertys, is just off Regent Street, and you should visit next time you are there, the building alone is worth the trip,historic, Art Nouveau, very expensive, designer fabrics and fab home decor and objects = No comparison in US! West Elm, Crate and Barrel …..they wish!
    Cath Kidson= modern day Laura Ashley, if that helps? Again, we have nothing like it in US! But there are Cath Kidson shops in Japan and Korea just not in US☹

Jim O'HaraJim O’Hara
    Participant

Thanks Alison, I’ve lived here for years and didn’t know Liberty is a shop. Still doesn’t make sense!

I thought they were talking about the human rights organisation with Shami Chakrabati.

Alison JohnsonAlison Johnson
    Participant

So to keep it pertinent so we do not get into trouble with Roif and his rules….
    Lillian is redecorating for Justin with Libertys wallpaper and fabrics, Matt would never have allowed that! Jenny darling, has a Libertys charge card and got some lovely things for Alice’s cottage but Libertys is too bourgeois for Kate. Jill bought Ruth a tea towel from there once but she used it to mop up something ‘orrible so threw it out. Luckily Emma found it when she was cleaning and now it is being sold in the Tea rooms, genuine vintage you know!

Jim O'HaraJim O’Hara
    Participant

Jeez, I had no idea all that was going on.

Doug FauntDoug Faunt
    Participant

Got it- Liberty I had no idea about. And I don’t know all the class indicators in the UK.

I was meeting some friends at a posh Indian restaurant right off Leicester Square, and was dressed
    as a sailor who’d come across the Atlantic on a cargo sailing ship. I checked in at the desk, and was accepted, but with a bit of hesitancy. When my 4 friends turned up after their work in full lawyerly drag, one of them explained it was pretty clear to him that the staff didn’t quite know what to make of me, but after they turned up they decided on eccentric.
    Since all I had for the weather was hi-vis clothing that trip, with reflective bands, I later was asked by the house manager at a performance of Alan Bennett pieces by an actor performing as Bennett, if I could remove my jumper, since it was catching the stage lighting and distracting him. I was in row J, center. I complied, and while slightly cool, it was tolerable.
    best, doug

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.