Form an orderly queue ….

Home Forums DumTeeDum Form an orderly queue ….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DustyDusty
    Participant

to scream abuse if this is a bottling out of the Kenton story.

Sarah CMSarah CM
    Participant

Oh, I don’t know. He made it clear to Jolene that he didn’t “mean” the handshake with David, he was only doing it for his mum (and because, let’s face it, Jolene had backed him into a corner). I think he will continue to be an arse for a while yet.

Which I don’t think is characteristic of Kenton, but, eh, what do I know. I’ve only been listening for six years. He’s always struck me as a rather happy-go-lucky, self-centred sort – but maybe this the metaphorical chickens coming home to roost.

Country SquireCountry Squire
    Participant

Kenny is going to perform an act of utter beastliness and stand on Dopey Dave’s model aeroplane that he was so mysteriously given for his 40th birthday present. Kenny is full of those sort of hunnish tricks and dave will be devastated that he can no longer run over Lakey Hill with his little plane crying ‘Brrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm’

The combined IQ of these brothers is about half your average football result.

Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

No – I won’t be queuing in an orderly fashion or at all to scream abuse.

I’ve made no secret of the fact that I don’t think there’s a “Kenton story” (that is, a mental health breakdown on his part) so I don’t think there’s any “bottling out” involved here.

My take on “Kenton’s story” is that through his own financial folly he has suddenly awakened a pathological hatred of his younger brother. Mystifying and bizarre and boring. Sibling conflict is an age old story going back to Cain and Abel (the Bible – not “Kane and Abel” by Jeffrey Archer). In “The Archers” we’ve had fraternal discord already with the Grundy boys. But at least that had the faintest ring of authenticity because, the way the story was written and developed, Will and Ed didn’t get along even as children. But to find yourself in Kenton’s position, reflecting on your recent misfortunes, aged in your late 50s, being eaten up with bile and resentment and projecting your self-loathing onto your younger brother is plain weird.

As Sarah CM says, he’s going to continue to be an arse for a while yet. The genie is out of the bottle now. And good luck to him. It takes some energy to keep all that bitterness stewing. Still, I might come round to the idea of this being a breakdown eventually because my observations of people who are as bitter and twisted as Kenton is that it doesn’t end well. At some point, all that persistent bitterness is going to compromise your psychological well-being and thereby your physical health.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City.
    Allison (cheeahs)Allison (cheeahs)
    Participant

*applauds*

I have to agree – while I do think there are issues Kenton needs to work on, and that we could conceivably term them “mental health issues”, I don’t think it’ll play out in a classic depressive manner.

Then again, everyone’s depression is different.

AnnietomicAnnietomic
    Participant

Unless my memory is faulty, Bro. Kenton received his share of his inheritance many years ago after his Antiques business failed and he scarpered to Oz. He is not entitled to one further Penney from that source.

But why let the facts get in the way of ‘drama’?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.