From a Helen to an Audience

Home Forums DumTeeDum From a Helen to an Audience

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lexi beelexi bee
    Participant

I’ve never been more compelled to contribute to the boards than since listening to the past Sunday and Monday episodes several times each. I do so much want to divide my discussion between my experience as a writer/actor and as a real-life Helen but it is so difficult. In one arena I wish the knife had hit true and Helen’s pain of one sort would be at an end – however, as a lover of drama I can understand why things are being dragged out.

As someone who has lived through a lot of what Helen has (thankfully lacking the young child and pregnancy to protect above my own safety) I so deeply want the wrongdoer to be brought to justice publicly and for her to to be visibly lacking ALL blame. I want the wool pulled off everyone’s eyes and I want Kirsty explaining to every granny in the village how his ‘solicitous kindness’ wasn’t what it seemed. As a woman I feel it ISN’T FAIR AT ALL that Helen as a character will be scrutinized for so much of her past behaviour in excusing his, and yet no matter how ugly it gets I know we must acknowledge as an audience that this happens every day and her trial as a fictional character can be constructive for our society in general. We have to hope, through example, that many women can hopefully avoid the extremes to which she has been brought. There are a lot of “I wish they had left sooner” stories that can be righted through education before they come to pass.

On a COMPLETELY different note, as a writer and an actor I can see all the tantalizing details that are yet to be dwelt upon. I want justice for Helen, but I do see how it can serve the cause better to see the -extremes- to which domestic violence and coercive control can be brought. Not everyone can have a clean escape, and that does have to be shown. Also, from a completely horribly writer’s point of view, no matter how much I would love the character of Helen to be absolved of the burden of Rob’s unborn child – how much more delicious to be setting the groundwork for a new “The Archers” storyline twenty years hence that involves a sweet and honest (Rex-like?) Henry to have to deal with the demon-spawn evil younger sibling that would surely result from Rob’s loins???? I have to always remind myself that no matter how horrible plotlines might be to us in the present, there are some people in a writer’s room somewhere that are thinking about the long game, and I don’t know about you all but I am seriously longing for the day when Henry kicks yet-to-be-born-demon-spawn’s arse.

Andrew HornAndrew Horn

Spot on in every respect

Valerie BaylissValerie Bayliss
    Participant

Excellent post

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.