Grange Farm and the Grundys

Home Forums DumTeeDum Grange Farm and the Grundys

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ms BubblesMs Bubbles
    Participant

Lets leave aside the fact that the Grundy’s lived rent free for about 9 months and should have been able to save a bit of a nest egg to buffer them from financial insecurity because there seems to be no reference to savings at all.

When Oliver negotiated rent for Grange Farm I had the impression that it was favourable with respect to the market but not easy for Eddie, Clary, Emma, Ed and Joe (with his pension) to achieve (hence the B&B story). This was with all adults contributing.

If and when Emma and Ed manage to pull together enough to buy one of the affordable houses, they will leave Grange Farm and will put all their money into the new house. That means they will no longer be contributing to the Grange Farm rent. If it was difficulty for the whole family to afford the rent, it is going to be impossible for Eddie, Clary and Joe to make up the rent without Ed and Emma’s contribution.

So if Emma gets her dream, that is the end of the Grundys at Grange farm.

Claire AstburyClaire Astbury
    Participant

I am SO glad you raised this – I have been thinking the same thing! I’m all for Emma’s crusade for affordable housing but she’s so focused on getting somewhere for her nuclear family that she’s not even spared a thought for her extended family. She should be fighting for a shared ownership house for herself and an affordable rented home for Clarrie, Ed and Joe. Never mind the risk of Oliver turfing them out, I’m surprised Clarrie isn’t more worried about what happens when the new homes are built and (potentially) Ed, Emma and the kids move out.

Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

If Ed & Emma do move out, Ed will still need somewhere to park his tractor.

KosmoKosmo
    Participant

Ed of course rents the land separately to the farmhouse. I have been going on and on about Emma moving out being the death of Joe should they ever get a poky little affordable house with no garden.

It will never be as nice for the children as the ability to run free over Grange Farm (speaking from experience as I had 13 years on a farm and then moved to somewhere with no land).

Far too much has been made of Emmur and her housing wishes. Ed hardly supports her on it as he knows it is unreasonable. Eddie and Clarrie would prefer somewhere else when Joe does pop off. All wrong.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.