I can't even, as the kids say

Home Forums DumTeeDum I can't even, as the kids say

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Laurelei DudleyLaurelei Dudley
    Participant

Ugh. I just listened to last night’s episode (Tuesday the 19th) and I actually felt physically ill hearing Rob’s voice again. And after hearing what he had to say, I almost wanted to cry.

I can’t do this anymore. I needed a break. We deserved a break. I listened to anxiety inducing coercive control for too long with the initial storyline to not be given some kind of respite or hope, some light at the end of the tunnel.

As a sufferer of (life situation induced) anxiety, it was all I could do to listen to the Rob and Helen storyline, but I did it (usually after listening to Dum Tee Dum to ease me into it), because I wanted to understand more about coercive control, and in support of the women who’d spoken out about their own experiences. Plus I won’t deny that I relished the idea of eventually hearing Rob get what he deserved, his karmic kick in the ass. But nope, our reward for sticking it out through all of the hideously uncomfortable listening was to be thrown back into the mire. Well, I can’t do it. I’ve been emotionally manipulated enough. I’ve decided that I’m tuning out until the winds change in this storyline. (But not to Dum Tee Dum, of course—Roif and Lucy, you two could do a podcast about the shipping forecast and I’d listen!) I just can’t listen to all the disbelief from everyone (including Helen’s own family), the whining of Pat and Tony, the shittiness of Ursula, the mental anguish of Helen, and the downright evil coming out of Rob. After this episode I actually felt so anxious that it felt like I was being strangled. And that’s not my idea of entertainment.

And as I sign off I want to say that by leaving Ambridge for now, I hope that I in no way belittle those who have gone through domestic violence for years, I’m just saying that I personally just can’t take any more.

isaac quatorzeisaac quatorze
    Participant

Laurelei, I am with you completely. It’ll be dumteedum and reading summaries for me as well going forward.

I only just returned to regular listening two weeks ago upon learning about Rob’s stabbing. I had previously taken 7 months off due to the overbearing/upsetting nature of that story and its scenes.

A very short break from Rob while he lay unconscious, and now he’s back and as anxiety-inducing as ever.

*hugs* from someone who relates

Laurelei DudleyLaurelei Dudley
    Participant

Thank you, Isaac, for the commiserations. In an odd way, it’s good to know I’m not alone.

I may try the skip-forward-past-the-sound-of-pure-evil method, but I’ll have to see what happens if I accidentally land on him. I listen with headphones on, and his voice just sends me into fight or flight mode.

Tom WilliamsTom Williams
    Participant

Same reaction hearing his voice sounding so Well made me shudder
    He sounds well yet Helen is alowly turning into Harley Quinn

Blithe SpiritBlithe Spirit
    Participant

Laurelei, you make an excellent point.

For those listeners already dealing with anxiety in their lives (and of course those whose own traumas are being triggered by this awful storyline – and that includes those who’ve grown up in this kind of situation, not just abused partners), this is definitely proving to be too much. Self-care is very much in order, and you are completely right to stop listening.

At the end of the day, this is just a show. Your peace of mind and well-being come first.

Take good care of yourself, and yes – do keep listening to Dumteedum 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.