I'm not done with this yet …

Home Forums DumTeeDum I'm not done with this yet …

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

Having listened to other people’s responses to Kenton I’ve questioned why I don’t feel the same. So I think another reason why I’m not sympathetic towards him is because my own interpretation of the breakdown that other people fear he’s heading for is that it amounts to no more than a big sulk that will be transformed by his decision to ultimately accept a family “bail out“.

I predict a rapid recovery from his sullen mood once the money is there to do the repairs. The script writers won’t keep him on a downward spiral once he acquiesces (we’ve don’t need to go through another Daryl Makepeace storyline).

Of course, I don’t doubt that he’s really upset at the financial mess he’s got himself into (and really sorry for himself) – but the situation where the insurance company have refused the claim following the flood would have occurred anyway. The technical reason for not paying out is down to something Kenton has done or failed to do or wasn’t aware he needed to do. In my experience, insurance companies can be expletives so I might admit to understanding how he feels wronged by them. However, the fact he has no lines of credit or no savings available to him to put the damage right remains a problem of his own making for which I will not concede an ounce of pity.

Further more, I can’t understand how Shula and Elizabeth aren’t able to give him greater assistance. (“They were every bit as keen [as Ruth and David]” my foot!)

How are they both enterprising businesswomen but unable to muster more than £4,000 each? And there was talk that some of it was coming out of an overdraft? If there’s to be a bail out it should be led by his siblings and Jill shouldn’t have to offer anything, in my mind. She’s not in employment generating an income, so her contribution would come out of savings that she won’t be able to replenish easily (not that being self-employed or running a business is necessarily an easy way of making an income). And I don’t know how Kenton and Jolene are going to “pack back every single penny” before Jill passes away but family loans often have generous repayment terms.

I can’t understand why Shula and Elizabeth aren’t able to do more but maybe I can see why they’re not willing

And is it me (again!) or have the last few episodes been really, really boring? Is this “the quiet before the storm” … ? “The storm” being the Flower and Produce Show.

Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

A reason for feeling some sympathy for Kenton is that, unlike us listeners, he will not be aware of the immutable rule that central characters cannot leave Ambridge. Looking at things from Kenton’s point of view the sale of Brookfield was a done deal; and objectively, there was little reason for it not to happen. So it was not a crazy thing to run up debt on the holiday; entrepreneurs take on debt on an expectation of future income which is not guaranteed, governments borrow against future taxes etc. I feel less sympathy about the insurance claim, as I think they had a warning when the drains overflowed and ruined Jolene’s stuff in the cellar, which Kenton did little about afterwards.

I don’t understand why Shula and Elizabeth can’t put in a bit more. Nor will I feel any sympathy if David & Ruth bleat on about milk prices in the near future, given they obviously have plenty of cash lying around, if they can afford to carry the bailout.
    I agree with you that there has been some boring stuff in the past week, especially around Pip and conversations with David and others on not going away. The Rob and Helen story is carrying the show a bit at the moment. Leaving Ruth up in the North has taken the drama out of the Heather story, and there is not much else around.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.