Josh

Home Forums DumTeeDum Josh

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Purple Pumpkin Purple Pumpkin 2 hours, 19 minutes ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Francis A'bear
    Francis A’bear
    Participant

Hi everyone – new user.

Does anyone else feel sorry for Josh?

He’s a young lad trying his best to develop a new business he has started from scratch.

Considering his is young and this is his first real venture he has shown some real entrepreneurial nous and determination, and is creating employment opportunities for the village – giving back the community.

There are so many characters (Helen, Tom, Pip, Adam etc.) who have enjoyed the privilege of being handed a career in the family business, and have not needed the inventiveness or initiative Josh has demonstrated with considerable success.

But what do his family think of this? They have appeared to be consistently dismissive of his efforts, David especially. I get the feeling that if he was an Aldridge, Brian (who is probably the most successful businessman in the village, apart from Justin) would be super proud of his achievements so far, and much more supportive.

Just my two cents, love the show x

Jacqueline Bertho
    Jacqueline Bertho
    Participant

Welcome Francis A’bear
    Did you know you are the second bear we have on Dum Tee Dum.
    I agree with you that Josh is being enterprising but he is so horribly obnoxious about it.

He lives at home, perhaps rent free. Comes and goes when he pleases and uses the farm yard and out buildings as if they were his own. Imagine if he had to rent out Hollotree. Would he refuse to pay rent, he would certainly argue about it.

Personally I think he has all the advantages of the others you mentioned but is not participating in the running of Brookfield.

Francis A'bear
    Francis A’bear
    Participant

Hi Jac, he can be arrogant but wouldn’t describe him as obnoxious… I guess he is fortunate to have access to the buildings/tools etc.

Living rent free in his parents house is standard for a lot of people that age, although I wouldn’t be surprised (if at some point should the business really takes off) David starts asking for some contributions.

My point is more about how badly he appears to be treated, particularly his dad. I think at the age of 20 to be running and developing his own business he should be more proud of him than he lets on. It seems to me because he does not want to follow in the footsteps of running Brookfield he receives not an inconsiderable amount negativeness and criticism.

Compare this to the Bridge Farm Archers’ response to Johnny wanting to work at Home Farm – they were disappointed but would always support him, no matter what his decision.

Ms Bubbles
    Ms Bubbles
    Participant

I agree with you Francis A’bear, I think Josh gets a raw deal. I think his father doesn’t take Josh’s business seriously at all. Although he does get lots of privileges, he is trying to make his own way, unlike Pip who assumed she would get a job on the farm after she threw away what we were lead to believe was the opportunity of a lifetime. She also appears to assume the family will take care of her baby. Pip is employed, Josh is not. David and Ruth have made it clear that the farm can only support one of their children and they chose Pip. Any work Josh does on the farm is in the order of chores and there seems to be quite a lot demanded of his in that context. The farm has a smaller house on it, Rickyard, Pip also gets that. There isn’t another one for Josh or the non existent Ben.

Josh did the right thing and did well in his exams (unlike Pip) and then make the decision not to go to University. Although I would be disappointed if my child made this decision, I would also be pleased that they have the maturity to make up their own mind about their future and even more impressed if they managed to make a go of a business from scratch even if that did include a little help from using the parents property.

There was an episode a few weeks back that I remember where Josh could do no right. His Dad got stuck into him his Mum got stuck into him and he apparently even ate the flap jacks the wrong way. In between this was David and Ruth’s constant justifications and hand wringing about Pip. Josh took it all in his stride.

As for being arrogant, it isn’t an attractive characteristic, but a bit of self assurance and confidence is good for someone who wants to run a business.

Master Miles
    Master Miles
    Participant

Isn’t Josh just the latest in a very long line of young men (and, rarely, women) in Ambridge tryignt o start up a business venture with a lot of enthusiasm and little skill, and stumbling along the way? John, Nigel, Tom, Fallon, and Rex & Toby. They struggle for a bit and then either settle into their new role, give it up and move on, or die.

Purple Pumpkin
    Purple Pumpkin
    Participant

While I think you make a valiant defence of Josh, FA’b, I’m more of Master Miles’s view: Josh is the latest version of Tom (sausage King) and John (pig empire), and seems to have all their characteristics: arrogance, lack of cooperation with parents but expecting them to house him and his business, bail him out when kit is stolen and so on. Roll on Josh treating some women badly and the character recycling will be complete.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.