Sean O'Connor is leaving the Archers!!!!!

Home Forums DumTeeDum Sean O'Connor is leaving the Archers!!!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Blithe SpiritBlithe Spirit
    Participant

I do believe this is a scoop at Dumteedum (and no, seriously – this isn’t a prank. The BBC’s reporting it).

Editor Sean O’Connor is leaving The Archers next Spring. Zippin’ up his boots and going back to his roots – well, back to EastEnders, where his talents better serve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thearchers/entries/e1787abe-d05a-4ecf-bed9-8c3d29e08bca

And may I be the first to say….

THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!!!!

YES!!!!

Sorry, was that too strong? 😉 (Eitherway, I don’t care.) I will now proceed to break out the champagne.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Blithe SpiritBlithe Spirit.
    Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

Indeed he is – I think he is leaving Spring 2016 (which could either be this spring or next spring depending on your definition).

I will not be breaking out the champagne, other that to congratulate him on his new role, as I think he has moved TA on very well, into a more rounded drama, from a series of “single issue driven” stories in the latter years of the previous editor.

For some it could also turn into a case of “be careful what you wish for”? Who knows who will come next.

I do wonder if he could take Rob with him though – the character could leave Helen/Ambridge and re-appear in Walford/Eastenders, in a similar SL to further raise awareness of the mental domestic violence issue which has been raised so well in TA.

Participant

‘More rounded’ – no.

If anything, The Archers has become more constricted, claustrophobic, dominated by single storylines, incredibly tropey and frequently horrible to listen to on his watch. We’ve had characters inexplicably drop off the end of the dramatic universe, storylines elasticated beyond endurance, and the show’s title taken to its literal conclusion in now basically being about one family, with other characters who previously had more of a presence (and reason to be there) merely shoved in periodically to serve major plotlines.

I hope this will be an opportunity for the BBC to consider its choice of editor very carefully, and to select someone who will indeed make the whole programme more balanced. We’ve seen the welcome return of some characters recently – Jazzer, Jimmus et al – and it’s been refreshingly reassuring.

Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

I think we will have to agree to differ! My opinion – and it is only that – is that SOC inherited a somewhat meandering programme which went from issue driven story (Darrell/Bethany/Henry) to issue driven story. We also had the problems around Ambridge Extra, where key stories were happening “elsewhere”. We now have (one) character driven drama, which does have some serious and difficult themes, but – for me – is a more compelling listen. I know others disagree and I respect your views, but life would be boring if we all agreed.

I do hope the new editor will embrace forums such as this to a much greater extent than SOC, and realise that they enhance the listener experience, and benefit the show; so whoever it is, make an early date with Roifield and Lucy!

Chris LowisChris Lowis
    Participant

Looking forward… who should take over?
    What about Mike Bartlett – he wrote Doctor Foster for the BBC last year, so I think he’d be an interesting choice.

Participant

Good call, Chris! Mike Bartlett is an award-winning playwright and an excellent crafter of drama. He’d be a wonderful choice.

Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

Blithe Spirit

Zipping up my boots, going back to my roots“! Calls to mind Odyssey, flares, floaty dresses, braids and beads – happy days!

That dance classic has got me grooving round the kitchen!

Participant

This is for you: Miss Mid-City 🙂

Participant

Here’s a bit of fun: Ruth Jones (of Gavin and Stacey) and DJ Steve Lamacq pitch for the editor’s job 🙂

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03jzjm7

Jacqueline BerthoJacqueline Bertho
    Participant

I have had a senior moment Blythe spirit….I just started watching a bbc2 drama thing called odyssey…..I thought perhaps you were talking about the USA and the lies generated by the pentagon…..I know the archers reach is far and wide but really??

Participant

@Jacqueline – lol! Conspiracy theory is pretty much the only plot device that isn’t in The Archers these days! (Listeners to the podcast will know how much I rate Homeland 😉 )

Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

Blithe Spirit

Thanks for the link to Odyssey! Fab!! Those cool grooves haven’t dated – not for me anyway!

And thanks for the link to Ruth Jones and Steve Lamacq on Radio 4.

There’s so much fun to be had pitching to be the new editor … ! I loved both of their suggestions.

I think Dum Tee Dum-ers would have some great ideas, too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.