Soapy tropes

Home Forums DumTeeDum Soapy tropes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Purple PumpkinPurple Pumpkin
    Participant

Listening to this week’s omnibus, I couldn’t help feeling that we’ve descended into soap-trope land, with personality transplants and weird storylines just to serve plot devices. Here are my examples

1. Why is Jill so giggly and daft about her new ‘boyfriend’ that she’s ignoring what’s going on with Elizabeth?

2. Is anyone ever going to explain why Shula and Alistair are divorcing when they get on so well? Just so we can have a will-they won’t-they storyline?

3. Why did Roy and Lexi split up if they both love each other so much. Surely only so she can leave for Bulgaria with Ian and Adam’s foetus

4. Tobee the love rat is back, and Rex is jealous. We’ve done that storyline to death, surely?

I’m sure listeners can add their own to the list!

WitherspoonWitherspoon

My thoughts…

1. I’m OK with Jill being excited about having a “gentleman caller.” One can simultaneously be excited about having something good in one’s own life while being concerned for a loved one. As an aside, I’m very good at keeping things from my mother (broken leg, heart attack), but I live a thousand miles away from her!

2. No.
    Probably.

3. Doesn’t make sense.
    Yes.

4. Doesn’t make sense after Pip haven’t been so angry with him for a while-Toby is so manipulative.
    Yes, but maybe Pip will find out about Toby’s “cleaning service” and make a clean break from him!

BTW, all excellent points, PP.

Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

I agree that we’re treading old ground here …

Relationships – whether familial, platonic friendships or romances – are the life blood of soap operas but what’s been bothering me lately is the fact that I don’t care about a lot of the characters and their various relationships.

For a start, I’m not interested in Tom and Natasha or Helen and Lee or Kirsty and Philip. I wish they’d do their “courtship” elsewhere.

And, as Roifield has often said, I just don’t believe in Adam and Ian. Equally, I don’t believe in Pip and Toby.

The “thing” between Tom and Horrid Hannah probably hasn’t gone away. That’s a stupid trope: friends with benefits which ends up becoming more permanent.

And I can’t believe they’re going to repeat the “torn between two brothers” nonsense that we had with Will, Emma and Ed. I don’t care enough about Pip, Toby and Rex to be bothered but things seem to be heading in that direction …

I also notice that all of a sudden, we’re getting a lot of younger/teenage characters like Ben, Ruari and now Mia. We heard a little of Jake and George a while ago but then they fell silent. I wonder if there’s something going on with acting bursaries …

marie ingerfatffriend
    Participant

What matches would you make if you could?

I am getting the feeling that there will be more “torn between two brothers” Emma and Will keep having tender scenes that are raising my suspicions, and the Toby/ Rex/ Pip triangle doesn’t seem like it will be resolved any time soon.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.