The Future of The Archers

Home Forums DumTeeDum The Future of The Archers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

Following last night’s episode (20th Jan) I am becoming pretty sure that all Ruth and David’s discussions about the future of Brookfield are a metaphor for the future of TA itself; going back to a “simpler” style of farming, just as the editor has said the TA should go back to its core characters; and the comments about doing things for the children, rather than for themselves – code for “this show is for the listeners not for the producers”, perhaps? The previous regime was sometimes criticised for inserting “pet” issues, after all. However, there will be some elements of change – to secure the new (old) farming technique they have to change the layout of their fields; so we will get some new/challenging story telling methods, like the Helen & Rob story.

Of course, I could be reading too much into all this!

Sarah CMSarah CM
    Participant

I agree, and I think it is a welcome development. The last week or so has been more like TA of yore with normal conversations, a “light” segment alternating with a serious/heavy segment. Things are getting back to normal in Ambridge after the upheavals of last year: long-married couples reconnecting (Brian/Jenny, David/Ruth); people returning to their homes (Lynda/Robert now, Jim/Jazzer, Bert Fry soon); the Grundys back at Grange Farm, however temporarily. Not quite as drastic a turning-back-of-the-clock as “stepping out of the shower” – unlike Bobby Ewing, the lovely Nigel can’t come back – but close. If only TPTB (the powers that be) could entice Matt back from Costa Rica to keep Lilian out of Justin’s clutches, all would be well.

And of course, Rob must get his comeuppance.

LandlessGentryLandlessGentry
    Participant

Ha ha now there’s a storyline in the making. I can see the Lilian and Justin story smouldering on for most of the year. Perhaps they’ll finally move in with eachother or get married before Christmas and then Matt comes back on the scene with a bang. Sorry pussycat, I had a few things to do! 🙂

Hetty HolmesdaleHetty Holmesdale
    Participant

I’m all for realistic rurality, but whilst like everyone else I want Rob to be found out and Helen rescued, the end of this storyline will also be an end to much of the real drama of the last two years – the flood (who blocked the culvert) the hunt (sab bashing) Jess baby saga (I still say it’s Rob’s) cricket foul play and so on. There’s a risk that the Archers without Rob risks becoming rather dull. I think this is why the storyline is being strung out for so long.

LandlessGentryLandlessGentry
    Participant

Bring back Matt Crawford to add nonagricultural interest, at least he was a likeable rogue. Though the Russian thing was a bit OTT!

Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

It would be great to bring Matt back! But they’ve already had him fighting over Lillian once: I’m not sure he’d be bothered a second time. It would be fun, though, to pit Matt and his wheeler-dealer-street-smart “geezer” style against Julian and his slick, bourgeois, mannered style.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.