The right to be heard …

Home Forums DumTeeDum The right to be heard …

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Miss Mid-CityMiss Mid-City
    Participant

OK, so how come this week Jake gets to speak but we hear nothing from his sister, Mia? Or from George who he’s so busy going round provoking?

And yet we had to hear from Ellis the bad-boy-drug-pusher without whom no soap opera is complete?

Also, I note that Ruairi and Ben were spoken of in the context of them spending time together but we didn’t hear a squeak out of either of them.

It’s just weird. New characters appear, old characters disappear …

(I will continue to bemoan the absence of Kathy and Jamie who have been silenced.)

It would appear that some characters are created to be and remain silent, some achieve silence and some have silence thrust upon them …

I don’t get it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I couldn’t agree with you more! I’ve been racking my brains thinking back , and my possibly faulty memory is of fewer characters used more often. I’m wondering if it has something to do with how the actors are paid …easier to fill with single contract actors? Don’t know! (Perhaps someone else knows the answer to this ?) I remember in the old old old days when adults voiced the children (the actor who plays Shula did a lot of this) but in recent years the children go quiet until they are about 15 or so …then slip back briefly, before dissappearing again until they are part of the story. I think hearing Jake plus the current storyline means that Ruarigh will be heard from very soon….and presumably George ….who is the same age -ish as Jake .
    I thought Jamie was developing into an interesting character ….then he and Kathy dissappeared out …very very irritating.

Lady BarbarellaLady Barbarella
    Participant

I also don’t get it. In a similar vein: Lexi has just gone through an unsuccessful artificial insemination. That must have some effect on her and yet we’ve heard nothing from her about it. It’s just been Jennifer going “Oh, what a pity”.

Daniel CohenDaniel Cohen
    Participant

I was thinking of your post as I listened to the episode today, where Lexi excuses her silence because of how busy she’s been “down at the chicken factory”. I guess the writers have a lot of storylines going on, and needed to focus elsewhere for a bit before returning to artificial insemination!

On the general subject of silent characters, I’ve always kind of liked them. Jean Paul was as real to me as any other Archers character, and I truly believed he was having a tantrum in the kitchen at Grey Gables, even though he never spoke a line. Similarly with Freda Fry – I know she was voiced once for a special occasion, but for the rest of the time it was enough for her to become alive through Bert’s words of affection.

I do agree that it’s odd to hear Jake without Mia or George. And yes, what happened to Kathy and Jamie?

Purple PumpkinPurple Pumpkin
    Participant

I do agree with this thread, and find the arrival and departure of characters frustrating. Will there be a new Debbie soon, I wonder?

But I have to correct you about Jean-Paul, Cel. He spoke plenty at one time, with a very sexy French accent, and lots of interactions with Caroline and Jack Woolley. But unlike Ian, he had no ‘other life’ in the village and hence no very compelling storylines.

WitherspoonWitherspoon

Miss Mid-City: “It would appear that some characters are created to be and remain silent, some achieve silence and some have silence thrust upon them …”

I love that line!!

I think we will begin to hear from some of the younger silent characters as they grow up and become more part of village life.

PP-I don’t think there will ever to a new Debbie! Maybe she’ll begin a round the world trip if she ever leaves Hungary.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.