"The Worst Week of Elizabeth's Life"

Home Forums DumTeeDum "The Worst Week of Elizabeth's Life"

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    WitherspoonWitherspoon

My call didn’t make it into the podcast this past week, so I thought I would share on the forum what I recorded last weekend, and this was before Elizabeth’s even worse week this week…and terrible Friday night!

REMEMBER THAT TELEVISION SHOW FROM THE EARLY TWO THOUSANDS, THE WORST WEEK OF MY LIFE, WHICH BY THE WAY, CO-STARRED ALISON STEADMAN-WELL, WE CAN SAY THAT IN THE LAST SEVEN DAYS BOTH ELIZABETH AND DONALD TRUMP CERTAINLY COULD RELATE TO THAT SHOW.

ANYWAY, IN FOLLOW-UP TO LUCY AND ROBERT’S DISCUSSION ABOUT HELICOPTER PARENTS, I’VE CERTAINLY SEEN MORE THAN MY FAIR SHARE OF THEM IN MY OFFICE-AND TO GENERALIZE, THEY DO TEND TO BE MOTHERS WHILE FATHERS PRESENT OTHER CHALLENGES ON THE OTHER END OF THE SPECTRUM. FIRST ELIZABETH RAN AROUND TRYING TO FIND FREDDY A LETTER OF REFERENCE AND THEN SHE WAS OFF TO BUY HIM SOME OF HIS FAVORITE ICE CREAM. WHY WASN’T FREDDY THE ONE ASKING PEOPLE TO WRITE REFERENCE LETTERS FOR HIM? AND REGARDING THE ICE CREAM I KNOW THAT A FEW PEOPLE ON THE SOCIALS RESPONDED WITH SYMPATHY TOWARDS LIZ-WHAT’S A MOTHER SUPPOSED TO DO? WELL, I KNOW IT CAN BE TOUGH, BUT NOTHING IN THIS CASE. THE END RESULT IS THAT FREDDY IS REWARDED FOR HIS NEGATIVE BEHAVIORS. WHAT’S HE DOING WITH HIS TIME NOW ANYWAY? HE COULD STILL BE WORKING FOR ADAM AND SPEND HIS OWN MONEY FOR ICE CREAM, OR TO HELP PAY FOR HIS LEGAL FEES. HE WAS PRACTICALLY KICKED IN THE ASS BY HIS MOTHER TO SAY SOMETHING NICE TO USHA, AND I KNOW IT MAY BE BECAUSE HE’S 18, BUT MY CONCERN IS THAT A LIFETIME OF ANTISOCIAL BEHAVIOR AWAITS HIM.

And this was before Elizabeth had to deal with Lily this week (we didn’t hear from Freddy at all these last seven days). Both Freddy and Lily don’t know what’s about to hit them. Poor Elizabeth, I do feel sorry for her. Well, here’s hoping for better weeks for her in the future and worse weeks for Mr. Trump.

Zoe BojelianYorkshireLass
    Participant

Agree Witherspoon, my view is helicopter parents do their off spring no favours. They disabled them in many ways, preventing them developing key life skills, doing them no favours in the long term.

marmadukemarmaduke
    Participant

Interesting comment Witherspoon. I would see Helen as more of a helicopter parent than Lizzie in the sense of always hovering over her offspring and trying to micromanage their lives ( and probably leaving them deeply insecure and paranoid in the process).

With Lizzie it seems to me is more of her viewing Freddie (and specifically Freddie – definitely not Lily who will always be second best, whatever she does) as her “little emperor / mummies boy” and therefore being totally incapable of making it clear to him that he needs to grow up and accept his responsibilities as an adult. Had Lizzie been a true helicopter parent in the sense I understand it, Freddie would never have had the chance to get into dealing as he would have had his mother watching his every move like a hawk.

WitherspoonWitherspoon

Marmaduke – In my office, I’ve seen a subset of helicopter mothers (parents) who rev up the rotors when their kids get in trouble – they then don’t allow their child to work through the challenge independently or to face the consequences…it usually starts when they’re young-academic failures or behavior problems at school; then the ante gets raised over time. In between crises they idle in neutral. We’ll call those “Elizabeths.” There’s another subset who hover over their child(ren) all the time. We’ll call those “Helens.”

WitherspoonWitherspoon

And happy to see that Trump’s weeks keep getting worse and worse! (I know I’m off-topic here)

marmadukemarmaduke
    Participant

Sounds good to me Witherspoon. Whatever the terminology I guess both behaviours are deeply unhelpful.

Roifield BrownRoifield Brown
    Keymaster

Hey Witherspoon, we never got your call this week, that’s why it was not on the show!

marie ingerfatffriend
    Participant

Her life just got worse, with the sentence. I don’t believe the storyline that she sneaked him into Lower Loxley the night before whether or not he wanted it. She acted as if it would be her who was taking the chance not him with so much to lose. It is his bail conditions, not hers. It would have been interesting if they had not gotten away with it instead of nearly getting caught.

marmadukemarmaduke
    Participant

I also thought it was an amazingly stupid and irresponsible thing to do.

I’m not sure how Freddie would have felt having to sleep in a bed recently vacated by the loathsome Truss also. He might have preferred to stay at Shula’s 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.