Whither Alex?

Home Forums DumTeeDum Whither Alex?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike HattonMike Hatton
    Participant

Given that Alex was incommunicado and not returning calls when Phoebe was trying to get hold of him when she got her letter from Oxford, do other listeners think we have heard the last of him? And did we ever know his surname?

Roifield BrownRoifield Brown
    Keymaster

Mike your stats were a revelation and Alex was a case in point. Considering the pivotal storyline he was involved in, I presumed he had been in many more episodes. Alex it seems was always destined to be a bit part character, used to show how quickly MsTucker/Aldridge was maturing, so probably we might never hear of him again.

WitherspoonWitherspoon

But whither, Kate? Her daughter gets into Oxford, and not a word? And regarding Alex and Phoebe, I try to prepare my patients going off to university for the end of their high school romances…time to put away childish things…

Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

Phoebe is not quite there yet..small matter of getting the grades!

Becky BlackBecky Black
    Participant

I was surprised he was still one the scene at all. I thought she’d have dumped that loser after his whole “don’t go to Oxford and become all better than me” nonsense.

LandlessGentryLandlessGentry
    Participant

Fascinating stats for 2015. Am I imagining it, or is the number of characters per episode decreasing? Once upon a time they would have given Alex some spoken lines for a couple of “anxious opening of the envelope” moments, now they seem to rely on the main characters simply talking about the bit parters, and only have a couple of different storylines per episode if that.

I really noticed this recently as it was refreshing to have lots of different characters appear in the calendar girls episodes, and that brilliant few days when there was absolutely no Rob & Helen so some others got a look in!

WitherspoonWitherspoon

Glyn-yes, your system of college acceptances confuses this Yank. Over here, once you get that letter of acceptance you’re in, unless you completely screw up your last few months of high school and flunk out (and unless you’re put on a wait list for a school, then your class grades in January or even later may count). We don’t have A levels; one takes the SATs or ACTs in late junior and early senior year-you get scores, which universities use as part of the evaluation of your application. We also have something call Advanced Placement exams, which a small number of students take in order to get college credits before they enter college.

I was yelling into my phone when I was listening to Phoebe waffle about Oxford over a boy – a lot more about that on next week’s podcast.

Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

Witherspoon – thankfully, she seems to have arrived at the right answer!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.