Would you let your children listen?

Home Forums DumTeeDum Would you let your children listen?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Katherine JagoKatherine Jago
    Participant

I work at the school my daughter used to attend (she changed schools at the beginning of Year 10). We would always listen to The Archers podcast on the way to work – conveniently a 12 minute commute away.

When Phoebe and Alex (remember him!) were discussing “relations”, it engendered a lot of discussion, and was a great way of discussing the subject of boyfriends, sleepovers, and all that stuff.

Last night, I found myself wondering whether I would want to share the podcast if she was still in the car. Currently I listen in the evening, as a day spent thinking about The Story That Shall Not Be Named would be unbearable.

On balance, I think she needs to know that DV exists, that someone may appear great but events may develop, and to recognise what is and is not acceptable. But I wondered what others think?

Now, a nice storyline on A level choices would be very timely …

Sarah PassinghamSarah Passingham
    Participant

I totally agree with you, Katherine. Soaps are a brilliant way to start a ‘safe’ discussion about all sorts of issues with children and teenagers, without any fear that you are judging anyone real, especially not their friends. My girls (27 and 24 now) weren’t that interested in The Archers, but tolerated it if it was on in the kitchen and we sometimes chatted about issues. John’s death was very pertinent as we live in a very rural farming area and we’d had arguments about the dangers of climbing on round bales and getting crushed if they rolled. We used Coronation Street as our sounding board, and it became an important conduit for communication during elder daughter’s ‘wilderness years’! She’ll remember it – she’s a teacher now, so she knows exactly what I mean! I’m sure if we’d had podcasts in the days of holiday car trips (they walked to Primary, and then took a bus to Senior School, so no opportunity for school commutes) we might well have used TA to start conversations, and in the car it’s even better. When I was a child, we always listened to The Archers and my parents wouldn’t have dreamed of turning it off because we were in the room. In fact, we had to remain totally silent during the whole thing. My father, who worked from home much of the time and had used TA as a connection with the real world when he was hospitalised for several years, would always say, ‘Well…!’ in an astonished fashion as he switched the wireless off. And today, as the last bars of Barwick Green fade away, I always hear that ‘Well…!’ in my head. It’s become an everyday little memory of him which I treasure since he died in 2003. On a different, but personal note, my Dad used a wheelchair due to polio, so we’ve always been a little disappointed that TA hasn’t tackled disability in any permanent way. I had so hoped that Bethany would grow up as part of the Ambridge community, but then she was whisked away to Birmingham. Shame.

Olly BOlly B
    Participant

My children are 8,7 and 5. My oldest used to love listening to the archers with me in the car but I haven’t done so for the last few months due to the Rob/Helen storyline. If I had the omnibus on Sunday afternoon and last night’s final minute came on on a Sunday morning on the way to swimming I would be appalled.

I appreciate the gravity of the storyline but how are people supposed/expected to explain marital rape to anyone under the age of 16/17?

Sarah PassinghamSarah Passingham
    Participant

Oo not sure that I’d have written that previous post without a reservation had I listened to the marital rape scene first. Now, I’m sure that I’d be unhappy for children the age that yours are, Olly B, to listen. But…maybe, as I said before, if you take the time to discuss the issues with older children, it can be an opportunity to inform life lessons. I am listening, and still listening as I’d like to inform myself about the new law, and I appreciate there are women out there who may need help. It’s not all about entertainment. TA was always about informing the audience.

Diane TelfordDiane Telford
    Participant

Used to listen to TA during the sprogs bath. Now he is 8 I listen to it on headphones or upstairs so he cannot hear.

Jacqueline BerthoJacqueline Bertho
    Participant

My daughter Emily is a listener, she is 13, nearly 14. But I have started censoring and we listen on catch up, never live. I have to say I skim abit and fast forward. But Emily has definite views. She keeps saying she’s going to call in…..we’ll have to wait and see if she does.

Jim O'HaraJim O’Hara
    Participant

My daughter is named Emilie (French mom) and is almost 13. She refuses to listen to whatever uncool thing I’m listening to. I’d be ok talking to her about consent issues like that, she’d be mortified!

Jeremy PeakeJeremy Peake
    Participant

I’m impressed that anyone can manage to get their children to listen to The Archers at all. My two have always refused flatly to listen.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.