OMG RIP NIC

Home Forums DumTeeDum OMG RIP NIC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Claire AstburyClaire Astbury
    Participant

We saw it coming all week but I’m so sorry to lose Nic. I had hopes of her being a future Ambridge matriarch, with her activity at church, attendance at the WI and contributions to village activities. She came in as a flawed character but I think she had a good heart all the way through.

One ray of sunshine for me is how much in the shit Will will be now. He does not have the kind of job which is easy for a single parent to do. He will soon feel less smug, I hope. Will Jake & Mia stay in Ambridge? Even just with Poppy to look after he will need a lot of help, and I have the impression he’s barely ever so much as washed up in his entire life, what with his strong views about what a woman is for.

Also, what did Nic confess to on her death bed? Running over Matt, stealing the church organ fund and stealing the bunting? I couldn’t make out any of it but if anyone had better sound than me and heard her confession to Joe, please let me know.

Roifield BrownRoifield Brown
    Keymaster

I woke up thinking gosh, Nic is going to die! The dance with Joe and Joe talking about Susan etc but I didn’t think she would go so soon, wow!

Lady BarbarellaLady Barbarella
    Participant

I had to listen to Friday’s episode twice before I could believe it! I feel like I was just getting to know Nic (and slightly dislike her). I agree, Claire, I thought she had all the hallmarks of the Ambridge matriarch and I saw her taking over the Christmas play in decades to come. I think Will as a widower will be insufferable. Those poor, poor children.

Lady BarbarellaLady Barbarella
    Participant

Also, I think she hit Matt.

Master MilesMaster Miles
    Participant

Barbarella, I had the same thought about Nic splatting Matt: her deathbed confession seemed to refer to something specific and serious. But since both characters are now gone it’s hard to see how that reveal would have much impact.

Although some kind of health issue was being signaled all week, I was genuinely shocked (in a good way, dramatically) by how suddenly it got serious, and that it was fatal. So many Archers plotlines are nurtured for months before they go anywhere, this felt refreshingly realistic—though no less tragic.

I was also a bit blindsided that the sepsis was clearly blamed on that cut from last week. I was really expecting her health issue to be something that might plausibly be pinned on the contamination in some way, which would have put Will in an interesting conflict with Brian. Now after this dramatic and unrelated health crisis I don’t really see them doing another story about medical issues.

Joe, though.I’ll stick to my guns and say that his demise is still imminent.

Purple PumpkinPurple Pumpkin
    Participant

I was resisting posting here until after the omnibus, after all the complaints on Twitter about spoilers posted during the week.

As an aside, I think it’s fair game to post after each episode, but not to post spoilers *during* the omnibus, and then it’s up to people not to look if they don’t want to see… And I do agree it was a bit off of the show to post spoilers.

But I digress. About Nic, I agree with whoever tweeted that this feels like a tacked on storyline – who shall we kill off for sepsis education week? – and also maybe a way to close the door on who splatted Matt (although it’s great fun thinking what else the deathbed confession could be about – shagging Brian, or Ed? Or stealing the bunting?)

I think it’s a real shame we’ve lost a proper character, and instead we’ll have bereft children, with perhaps a family breakup if Jake and Mia get ‘taken away’. But it will all be forgiven in my eyes if we can see Will become a proper human being. It was time he stopped being a poor man’s Rob and general all-purse knobhead.

Tom CollinsTom Collins
    Participant

Just heard the omnibus, I’m pretty good at keeping spoiler free until Sunday especially as I’m 6 hours behind. Wow I was not expecting that, I thought the emotional sharing of tales from Joe was signaling his death and not Nic’s. I was so outraged at Brian’s attitude this week that I didn’t see it coming at all. Putting away groceries with a tear in my eye, and had to stop and sit with a cup of tea, in the knowledge that no one they than me in Chicago listens to this so who do I commiserate with? Then I remembered you guys, thank for being a community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiwi_listenererkiwi_listenerer
    Participant

Rob blocked the culvert with Stefan, who’s body decomposed putting toxins in the water that then flowed in to the Grundy’s house, contaminating everything. It’s all Rob’s fault!

Seriously, it was well played, but the deathbed confession was a bit much – there’ll be enough drama with people adding ‘contaminated water’ and ‘Low Mead contamination’ and getting ‘Aldridge’, and poor old Brian gets the blame again, Will coping Nic’s death and Jake and Mia going back to their father (which conveniently removes two ‘non Archers’ from the picture) and Emma being torn between Ed and Will again.

Does anyone know why Nic had to go – did the actress want equal pay or something?

Melanie ShropshireMelanie Shropshire
    Participant

I felt like I was just getting to know Nic. She was very caring with the children while working on the Church Nativity. The relationship with Emma during the election was really believable. I think she would have accepted Emma’s apology if Will hadn’t been there. Regarding the confession. If you play the podcast on 1/2 speed it sounds like she is saying su-su-suicide, after she told Joe that she had done something bad. Also when Joe came by to pick up the painted silver frame & lampshade, her wrist was bleeding. Hmmmm, but it sounds like it accidentally happened right then while he was there.

marie ingerfatffriend
    Participant

I have to keep telling myself to stop sobbing; she is a character.
    I had to go back to listen again to find out that Nic had scratched herself when sorting out Grundy tat to see if any of it that Joe could bear to part with could pass as ‘vintage’.
    So many people who will be saying ‘if only’. Master Miles, I’m sticking to my guns too – Joe may go quiet, but he will live at least as long as the actor who has voiced him for so many years.

Master MilesMaster Miles
    Participant

fatfriend – You may be right that they’ll let actor Edward Kelsey decide when to let Joe shuffle off, but I hope he and they will make that happen while he still has time to enjoy some retirement. The alternative is the macabre spectacle of a living character played silently by a dead actor until a suitable fictional death can be concocted, as happened with Caroline Sterling and Jack Woolley. No character or actor deserves that if it can be avoided, and I hope Joe gets the kind of exit he would want.

As for Nic, I hope Becky Wright went willingly, and that her future career is brighter for her having been part of The Archers.

marie ingerfatffriend
    Participant

Master Miles, I am far more invested in the characters than I am in the actors who voice them. I know nothing of the actors unless Roifield interviews them on the podcast. What you call a macabre spectacle seems to me to be the dignified way of doing things. Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I hate to think of an actor (like Paddy Green and Jill Archer) seeing the character they have invested many years in killed off while they are wishing to continue to play them. Of course, if they wish to retire, that is a different matter. I join you in wishing Becky Wright well.

marie ingerfatffriend
    Participant

I expect doctor’s surgeries will be full of people having their scratches looked at.

marie ingerfatffriend
    Participant

Sorry, It’s me again. Listening to the podcast I feel the need to connect.
    First, Joe did hear what Nic said at the last and we will find out eventually. He I already talking to others about if he should tell. Maybe we will hear him telling Bartleby.
    There was talk on the podcast about who William will get together with next. It was the mention of him being the gamekeeper that got me thinking about who would be Ambridge’s Lady Chatterly. Now who do we know who is fed up with her lying, philandering husband?

Barbara WisemanBarbara Wiseman
    Participant

Roifield, Just listened to the latest edition of dtd (RIP Nic), you mentioned that you posted somewhere that you thought Nic was toast, then followed by saying (about the reaction of the timing of your post) ‘crumbs’. Made me laugh, was the pun intended?
    Love listening to the podcast, one of the highlights of the week, thanks to Lucy, Yokelbear, Naked Fingers, Milliebelle, Roifield and all other contributors, you do a wonderful job.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.