Brookfield Confusion

Home Forums DumTeeDum Brookfield Confusion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Jo LeanJo Lean
    Participant

Now, I may have missed something crucial about this while staring out into the middle distance trying to work out which young man straight out of RADA was currently talking (Charlie/Tom/Rex/Toby etc) – but why the flip can’t both Heather AND Jill live at Brookfield? Surely having Jill around to make tea, keep Heather company (slightly passive aggressive company, I grant you), would help, not hinder.

THere must be enough room in the house: they’ve managed to put Bert up with no problems. Indeed, if Heather’s mobility is as bad as we are told, then won’t they be turning one of the downstairs rooms into a room for her?

So, if anyone could explain why both mothers can’t leave in the sprawling farmhouse, I’d be very grateful. I’m easily confused.

Jo LeanJo Lean
    Participant

And while I’m here, someone could also help me understand why Ed is suddenly flush with cash to buy new moo-cows?

Ta.

Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

If I have followed what has been said correctly, Jill is in Pip’s old room, and Pip is in a box room. Benjosh sharing, R&D main room. Bert in Rickyard with its dangerous stairs; to be joined/replaced by Matthew. So either Jill would go into a box room or they would have to convert downstairs. In my mind, Brookfield always seemed huge, but I haven’t checked the reference books.

Hope this helps.

Aunty JeanAunty Jean
    Participant

It turns out the farmhouse is smaller than the milking parlour so there’s a thought? Jill/Heatherpet could go in there with the cows. Let’s face it they’d get more attention from Roof that way.

Surely Jill could live with (in no particular order, they may not be lining up to volunteer)
    Shula (wait..she’s already got Jim)
    Kenton (he needs kitchen staff anyway)
    Carol treboggan (since she’s actually you know IN Jill’s house now)
    Lizzie (who owns a bloody great stately home)

Jo LeanJo Lean
    Participant

Thanks, Glyn. I only agree up to a point (Lord Copper). Bert is deffo not in Rickyard, but in Brookfield proper, as he & Christine had a conversation about feeling like they were “intruding” etc. Although this was mostly so we could be reminded that Shula and Alistair’s marriage is a shaky as ever, I think.

I find it hard to beleive that the farmhouse is that small that they cannot convert a downstairs room for Heather (where the piano is?), they can’t just have a kitchen, front room and study, surely? And I remain convinced that Jill staying at Brookside would be a help to the others in Heather’s care, not a hindrance.

But there we are.

Glyn FulleloveGlyn Fullelove
    Participant

You may well be right about Bert, and if he is at Brookfield he keeps himself to himself a lot! Is he helping on the farm at all? He is obviously still quite fit.

Country SquireCountry Squire
    Participant

Presumably there was a time when the dullest man in the universe ( Phil) and his lefty interfering old spouse has all four of their dysfunctional children in the house. Although St Shulie would quite often disappear off into someone else’s bed, being very much the X rated version of Goldilocks as well as the country’s most sexually active churchwarden, there must have been sufficient rooms for them all to sleep in. Presumably the fragrant Elizabeth did not share with St Shagger nor brain dead Kenny with his dreary brother. So why isn’t there room for poor nutty Wor Jolly, inheritor of Wor Solly’s international bog roll empire somewhere in this rambling farmhouse that has suddenly contracted? has it shrunk in all the rain?

AnnietomicAnnietomic
    Participant

Brookfield’s smallness is the product of both the BBC’s general downsizing and its particular dislike of the Midlands. As some 90% of the Licence Fee income collected in the Midlands is spent elsewhere in the UK they have had to make cuts.
    There is absolutely no truth in the rumour that all of Ambridge, including Brookfield, shrank in the Great Flood.

DustyDusty
    Participant

Well it’s a dramatic device. I’d put Heather in one of the many reception rooms with a commode and Sky Plus Dx

Participant

What’s a dramtaic device? Wor Jolly going ga-ga? Wor Roothie having hysterics? It’s ruddy irritating I know that. Does the Laurels not have a maximum security wing where Wor Jolly can be kept with a pile of bog rolls to gaze at wistfully so that in her more lucid moments she can think of all the Geordie buttocks that her late husband’s product has given so much comfort to? That would also mean that her wailing daughter could pop round for her daily club out of earshot of the coos who must be put off their milking with this going on all the time.
    Personally wished the tedious car had remained in Prudder whittling sticks for her mother to bite on.

Participant

And that should read blub not club but WordPress always does know best.

DustyDusty
    Participant

A dramatic device is something bunged in to create a dramatic tension, sensation, or to make people get really pissed off and say things like ‘he wouldn’t do that’, ‘what about the five spare rooms?’ and ‘does this new editor know what he’s doing?’. I hope that helps.

Ms Mumbo- JumboMs Mumbo- Jumbo
    Participant

Outhouses. Any farms worth their salt are cluttered up with the buggers. They should shove the frightful old bat in one and slide her food under the locked door.
    Having said that I am quite sure she will expire, as I have said elsewhere, at the nearest Little Chef car park as WR drives her down the motorway, the bonnet piled up with floral tributes from the general public.

Participant

The redundant Happy eater out there on the Borchester Road, the only dual carriageway littered with Michelin starred eateries, would also be well worth a look, Mumbers. Otherwise surely Neull would have a few redundant pig arcs in the event that all the outbuildings at Brookfield are in constant use. As the knuckle-headed Bertfroi must be knocking on 97, although still a good decade or so younger than JoeGrunday, could surely be moved into some local care centre thus freeing up space for the near saintly figure that the Bog Roll widow has become. WR could then run round the yard keening.

Participant

Very helpful, Dusters. Thanks. Whereas TA regularly produces tension it is not in the way the SWs planned. I get tense every time I hear WR keen and yowl but not in a dramatic way. Also I am having difficulty telling the difference between all these Sloaney sounding blokes. The Foie Gras brothers are as one, although one gets pissed and the other says coy things about the ghastly Pip’s necklace. Then there is this fellow who beats Hellin, something that over the years listeners have expressed a keen enthusiasm in doing, and the new Tommy who has clearly been to the Heineken school of languages to transform his North Notts drawl into something far more upmarket. There is another bloke who clearly wants to get inside Moody’s leather chaps but I have no idea who he is either.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.